Personal & Professional Volunteering
I feel strongly that we all have a responsibility to give back to the community that empowered us with knowledge & opportunities. It is highly rewarding to contribute my unique skills across different domains of my personal, community & professional life.
I have worked extensively with elementary and middle-school teachers to encourage teaching of science principles & knowledge. I have been extensively involved in community associations, events and projects.
I am an avid skier, serving for years as a Ski Patroller at local hills, and for Olympic & World Cup events. I enjoy teaching and coaching new recruits in the classroom and on the hill. I have received different awards and acknowledgments for my contributions including:
• City of Ottawa Charlotte Whitton Award for Community Volunteerism (1999)
• Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA) Outstanding Lifetime Volunteer Award (2016)
• Camp Fortune Ski Patrol Service Appreciation Award (2019)
Canadian Ski Patrol
Beyond my service providing care for injured skiers in both downhill & cross country skiing, have been involved in multiple projects to enhance the training of new recruits and the CSP Organization. My contributions include:
• Race Medical, Vancouver 2010 Olympics, Lake Louise Winterstart World Cup (2010 > 2015), Red Bull Crashed Ice & multiple local races.
• CSP Come Join Us ... New Patroller recrutement program
• Camp Fortune Ski Patroller Manual, Challenging Extraction Program, Patroller Development Program
• Teaching Advanced First Aid, On-hill Rescue & toboggan skills
I have found many ways to give back in my own local community including:
• Working with Seniors Watch of Old Ottawa South (SWOOS) on winter walkability software (WinterWalk) and Seniors Housing projects.
• Manage annual cleaning of local parks (20+ yrs)
• Org community response to zoning & develop
• Website design & development for Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA)
• Author of "Your Essential Guide to Old Ottawa South" (1999)
• OSCA Board & Drafted Board Member Handbook
• Organizing neighbourhood street parties
Teaching & Inspiration
I particularly enjoy sharing technical concepts and life experiences with an audience whether it be a limited workshop or an entire auditorium. I have taught professional workshops, and in school environments ranging from Grade 6 to University & professional conferences. Teaching events have included:
• Ergonomics multi-day workshops, and lunch + learn sessions
• Mentoring Industrial Design Student Projects
• Professional conference presentations
• Stay in School presentations
• Science process & materials presentations at both Primary & High School levels
• Acting as a High School Science Fair Judge
We are all part of the same team and I want to give back to the profession & peers who keep my life interesting. Professional projects have included:
• Development of OAAK Conference Manual and conference support text and graphic materials.
• Professional association booth duty.
School & University Contributions
Since my early days at University, I have been involved in multiple roles to give back & to learn new things. While at school I was involved with:
• Student health counselling at both MacMaster and University of Waterloo.
• Chair of Co-operative Residence Mgmt Board
• Founded & managed High School Camera Club, created school darkroom, lead photo workshops.